So I had a very millennial day. I made vegan dog biscuits and then avocado mousse.
The mousse is something I’ve wanted to try for ages but I’m not usually much of a dessert person. This is actually the first dessert I’ve made for this blog. To be completely honest, I was a bit frightened to make it. It’s the same thing as using aquafaba (chickpea water) to make meringue. You can’t quite believe that it could possibly work let alone taste nice!
However you’ve got to trust me when I say that this spiced mousse is AWESOME. It’s rich, decadent and creamy with a gentle hint of spice in the chocolate. It’s very easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to set in the fridge. Makes 4.
2 large ripe avocados
115g dark chocolate – 60% cocoa or higher
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
1/2tsp vanilla extract
2tsp agave nectar
4 cardamom pods
Pinch of turmeric
60ml soya or other plant milk
Raspberries or other fruit to serve and icing sugar for dusting
- Warm the milk slightly on a low heat or for about 30 seconds in a microwave. With the flat side of a knife crush the cardamom pods to break the hard shell. Add the pods to the milk and allow to steep for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate slowly in the microwave or over a Bain-marie stirring occasionally until the chocolate is fully melted, smooth and shiny. Set the chocolate aside to cool completely.
- Halve the avocados and remove the stone. Scoop the avocado flesh into the bowl of a food processor or a high powered blender.
- Remove the cardamom pods from the milk and add it to the avocados followed by the melted chocolate. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Blend everything until all fully combined and smooth. Keep blending until it becomes a little fluffy and whipped in texture.
- Spoon the mixture equally into four ramekins or other small dish. Refrigerate the mousse for 4+ hours in the fridge.
- When ready to serve dust the mousse with icing sugar and serve with fresh raspberries or other fruit of you choice.
Have you made this? Let me know what you think! Leave a comment or a like below 🙂