After craving a burger most of the day I got a bit moody about what to have for dinner as it didn’t feel very exciting. I decided to take all the good bits of a burger and put it in pasta, as you do. It’s cheesy, savoury and thanks to a few strange additions tastes just like a cheeseburger. Just in pasta. It really is delicious.
I literally whipped this up last night on a whim with no intention of blogging it. Even for me it seemed too decadent! However after I posted a picture of it on Facebook I got a lot of comments asking for a recipe. I hope you like it as much as I did! 🙂
2 soy based vegan burgers (they need to be able to hold their shape and not completely crumble) Defrosted if frozen. I used Linda McCartney mushroom and spinach burgers.
50g mushrooms sliced
2tbsp soy sauce
1tbsp agave or maple syrup
Few drops liquid smoke
200g dried pasta shapes (I used Amori)
150g cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
Small white onion diced
1 large dill pickle diced
1tbsp tomato ketchup
1tbsp tomato puree
1tbsp American style mustard
70g grated vegan cheese
Salt and pepper
- In a bowl mix the soy sauce, agave and liquid smoke. Add the mushrooms and throroughly coat them. Leave them to marinate for at least half an hour.
- When they’ve finished marinating fry them with some olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat until well browned. Set aside.
- Boil the pasta following the packet instructions but undercook by about 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Put the burgers in a bowl and roughly mash them to break them down a little.
- In a large frying pan gently fry the onion in a little oil until it begins to soften. Add the mashed burgers and the tomatoes and increase the heat to medium. Add the tomato puree and stir. Put a lid on the frying pan and let the ingredients cook for about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally. Add some boiled water to the pan to keep the mixture loose.
- Add the pickle, the mustard and the ketchup and stir. Put the pasta into the sauce mix and season well with salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Tip the pasta bake into an ovenproof dish spreading it out evenly. Finally sprinkle the grated cheese over the top. Bake in an oven at 190°C for 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and the mix is bubbling. Serve immediately!